Thursday 3 August 2017

How to draw step by step , sun ray over the mountains - oil painting



How to draw step by step, sun ray over the mountains - oil painting



ABOUT PICTURE

“If there is a heaven on earth, it is here”- One cannot but utter this quote while witnessing such sublimity, when the clouds open their curtain and the sun, with his first rays, drenches the mountains with golden hue. It seems like an inauguration of the celebration of ethereal beauty, magnificence of the nature and all those things that makes the earth a heavenly place.

Canvas – 21ʺ x 14ʺ

Oil Colors –Prussian blue, Flake white, Chrome yellow deep hue, cadmium yellow, cadmium orange, cadmium red

Brush – Flat brush no. 2, 4,8,12 ; Fan brush no. 4 ; Spatula knife ; flat brush 2”, flat brush 1.½ (slim)


How to draw step by step Oil Painting 

Step 1

I am starting by painting the mountains in the background. I have already painted the canvas with a lavender color so that I have a base work on. I am using the palette knife a bit more than the usual in this picture. I mix some blue and white and with the spatula knife, I draw the outline of the mountain. I also put some color to create the body of the mountain. Then I blend them together with a small and then with a big flat brush to make it more evident.

Step 2

The great thing about using spatula knife is that, you can create details as well as textures. Therefore, after adding a bit of shading on the peaks, I grab my spatula knife again. Using an off-white (white + cadmium yellow) shade, I create the snow-capped effect and paint the ridges. You can notice how easily I am creating the rocky texture of the mountain. The effect is also producing the look of light sourcing. I add a few little detailing before I move on to the clouds.

Step 3

For the clouds, I am using some white, orange and yellow (chrome yellow), and a bit of red.With a flat brush, I start putting blobs color around the mountain. Using small strokes will help to get the cloudy effect. The cloud will cover three of the sides of the mountain leaving the three peaks in the middle and the sky. Here, I am smudging the colors together as I am painting and adding layers. In the right, as I want to make the mountain showing through the clouds, I use some more blue and white. Then, in the sky over the peaks, I brush some off-white and blend it with the orange cloud.

Step 4

After adding some more details, I paint a thick line in the middle of the canvas horizontally, where the orange cloud has created a bottom frame for the three peaks. I blur them together well with a big flat brush.

Step 5

Next, using the same technique with the spatula knife that I have used previously, I paint the hills in the foreground and the foothills of the background mountain peeking through the clouds. Then I define everything using a brush. I do a bit of shading as well with paler hues and add the detailing like the snow, the ridges and of course, the light sourcing, with my palette knife.

Step 6

To show the sunbeams piercing through the cloud, I use a fan brush and very little amount of paint (white + cadmium yellow). I use slanted strokes to paint the rays. Using the same fan brush, I paint a few trees in the bottom right corner. Then I add some final touches here and there and the painting is complete.

THANKS FOR VISITING MY SITE


Artist Dilip Sarkar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moonlight Night Scenery drawing With Oil Pastel - Simple Oil Pastel Dra...

Moonlight Night Scenery drawing With Oil Pastel - Simple Oil Pastel Drawing | Dilip Art Hi friends I'm Dilip Sarkar I have tried to ma...